A friend reposted this thing I posted years ago. Still true…
In the end, a life in the military was not my thing. I bailed three weeks before shipping out to the Navy. That said, a LOT of habits stuck with me after years in the Army Cadets and the infantry Reserves (Militia, a proper one, not the US style of a bunch of wankers with store bought combats and weapons)..
Here they are..
1. Get up before early even when I can sleep in. Usually just before alarm goes off.
2. Set multiple alarms on phone and clock radio in case one fails.
3. Use 24 hr clock
4. Show up 10 minutes early for everything (except when others slow me down, damn them)
5. Do my own ironing, most every day.
6. Double bow my shoelaces and always wear shoes you can chase someone in/run in/escape in (not flip flops, ever)
7. Keep shoes clean and leather ones waxed.
8. Think before I speak to a superior (usually prepared with what I will say well before I speak, often two sentences early or more)
9. Maintain very dark sense of humour.
10. Get haircut, short, frequently.
11. Plan everything in my head if not on paper and modify plans as time approaches to enact them.
12. Maintain constant situational awareness of my surroundings .
13. Stick to facts but keep a healthy sense of gut feel, assess facts to determine course of action and possible causes to situational issues.
14. Respect others who earn that respect or who have not proven themselves to not deserve it.
15. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
16. Coffee. And more coffee.
17. Mentally map & plan routes wherever I go.
18. Do estimate/bp on a whole lot of things.sometimes too many
19. Eat quickly.
20. Walk with a sense of purpose.
21. I’m always ok, I can manage, it’s other guy I have to worry about.
22. More coffee.
23. Never walk on the grass, follow the sidewalk even though walking across the lawn is half the distance
24. make lists.
25 Edit lists frequently. Keep them in your pocket.
26. When entering a new situation, seek escape route, review possible threats, and (yes) look for items to be used in self defense if needed